Switching branches of freebsd-base-graphics with git

Thomas Mueller mueller6722 at twc.com
Wed Apr 5 23:24:58 UTC 2017

from Doug Kirk:

> `git pull` is just sugar for `git fetch` (fetch remote updates) then `git
> merge` (merge them into the current work tree).

> Since git pulls down the entire repo (unlike svn), `git checkout $branch`
> is enough (AS LONG AS you originally cloned the entire repo instead of just
> one branch -- `-b $branch` on the clone command).

> So after the checkout as above, `git pull` should be enough to get the
> currently checked-out branch's updates from the remote repo.

> Even if you didn't clone the entire repo, `git checkout $branch` followed
> by `git pull` is enough to checkout the branch and get its updates.

> You can get a (local & remote) branch list with `git branch -a`. It'll show
> a star for the current branch.

> Also keep in mind that git won't do anything with non-tracked files, so
> you'll likely want to `make clean` to get rid of prior-branch remnants.

I ran "git branch -a" on this computer and the other, showed branches, but got more on this computer than the other: drm-next showed on this computer but not the other.

I ran "git fetch remote", thinking I would update the list of branches, but got a bigger download.  I am still in branch drm-i915-update-38 on that computer.

So I am lost at this stage, only way I can see is rm -R * from /freebsd-base-graphics and start over with new branch.

Now my head is spinning/swimming.  I need to wait until after I finish my income tax return.

Tom