Test Results for Radeon Drivers on R9-270X card

fischerking1905 at yahoo.co.jp fischerking1905 at yahoo.co.jp
Sun Apr 2 11:25:25 UTC 2017

Hello and thank you all for your work on Radeon drivers for FreeBSD.
I hope I'm posting this in the right place.

My computer specs are:
CPU - AMD FX-8350
RAM - 8GB
Graphics Card - XFX R9-270X

The card is performing very well with the Radeon graphics. I was previously using an nvidia gt 740 cardwith of course nvidia drivers. I took out this card and replaced it with the R9-270X. For web surfing and watching DVDs and general computer use the performance seems to be the same with the R9-270X card. It seems to speed up getting to the desktop after login with the Radeon drivers. Also some web pages seem to open faster with the Radeon drivers. However:

There is slight tearing during DVD playback using smplayer on default settings. There was none using the nvidia card.

I installed supertuxkart to see how the card would perform and I'm afraid the game runs at about half or perhaps two-thirds speed depending on the track used. With the GT 740 the game ran fine.

Sometimes youtube videos seem to freeze or pause very slightly and then resume again

There was no xorg.conf file (or at least I could not find it). I tried to generate one with the command "X -configure" but I got the message:

(EE)
Fatal server error:
(EE) Server is already active for display 0
    If this server is no longer running, remove /tmp/.X0-lock
    and start again.
(EE)
(EE)
Please consult the The X.Org Foundation support
     at http://wiki.x.org
 for help.
(EE)

Then I booted as single user and I generated the above attached xorg.conf file using the X -configure command. This appeared originally in /root as xorg.conf.new I then copied this file to /etc/X11/.
I have not changed anything in this file.

Can xorg.conf be configured to improve performance?

If it helps, this is the output for glxgears:

3745 frames in 5.0 seconds = 748.385 FPS
3312 frames in 5.0 seconds = 662.312 FPS
4028 frames in 5.0 seconds = 804.705 FPS
4062 frames in 5.0 seconds = 812.346 FPS
4071 frames in 5.0 seconds = 814.086 FPS
4042 frames in 5.0 seconds = 808.314 FPS
3341 frames in 5.0 seconds = 668.030 FPS

To summarise the card is performing well and apart from DVD playback and the supertuxkart game speed (which I don't really care about) it performs the same as the nvivia card.

Thanks very much again for all your work. If you want me to do more testing please let me know.

Neville