Nvidia drivers screen brightness and back light

Scott Bennett bennett at sdf.org
Thu Sep 29 16:16:44 UTC 2016

blubee blubeeme <gurenchan at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am not looking for a screensaver; I am looking for a way to dim the
> brightness of the screen. Even when I use the xrandr or redshift to dim the
> brightness, let's say i turn it all the way down to 0 or something like
> that.

     If you've never used xscreensaver, you may not be aware of what it can
do.  It has a panel that lets you set the delays before blanking, standby,
shutoff, etc.  It lets you choose which screensaver modules to run and on
what basis (e.g., just a particular one, randomized, and forth).  One of the
screensavers is a blank, black screen, which is the one I like to use because
it places no load on the CPU).  I set it to blank after two minutes idle and
to put the monitor into its standby state a minut after blanking.  The only
problem I have with it is that this particular hardware causes xscreensaver
to hit a bug and exit.  It may work for you, or it may not.  But if it does,
you can set all sorts of things to accomplish what you need.  It doesn't
allow you to set intermediate brightness levels, though; it's on or
off/standby, which was why I originally suggested xbrightness..

> If I turn off the lights in the room, I can still see the led behind the
> screen lighting up the four corners of the screen.
>
> Not to mention that xset command you referenced me earlier doesn't work for
> even turning off the monitor.
>
> btw, I use i3lock -c 000000 to try to get a black screen as well but again,
> the lights are still there.

     Right.  That's why you need a way either to adjust the brightness or to
put the monitor into standby.  It looks like your monitor doesn't respond to
the appropriate commands/signals.

                                  Scott Bennett, Comm. ASMELG, CFIAG
* Internet:   bennett at sdf.org   *xor*   bennett at freeshell.org  *