Nvidia drivers screen brightness and back light

Ken Moore ken at ixsystems.com
Thu Sep 29 12:14:53 UTC 2016

xbrightness and redshift do not touch the LCD levels within your monitor at
all - they both do software-level brightness control through modifying the
X server settings for colors and such (which is why they trample all over
each other if you try to run both). If you want hardware-level brightness
control there are a couple options:

"xbacklight" is a utility similar to xbrightness, but only does
acpi/hardware brightness. It only works on monitors which support the ACPI
power levels and such though, so it might not work for you.

You can tweak the sysctl on your system to turn down the monitor brightnees
directly (if supported by your monitor - most laptops are supported but
desktop monitors are hit-or-hiss).
`sysctl hw. | grep brightness` should show you which one(s) are available
on your system.

"pc-sysconfig" is a tool on PC-BSD/TrueOS systems which is a front-end to
the sysctl method for controlling screen brightness (as well as a few other
things like putting your system into suspend mode), and allows the user
make the changes as needed (sysctls can usually only be changed by root).
Run "pc-sysconfig -h" to see the options for reading/changing the screen
brightness levels as you need.

On Thursday, September 29, 2016 7:32:12 AM EDT, blubee blubeeme wrote:
> I am not looking for a screensaver; I am looking for a way to dim the
> brightness of the screen. Even when I use the xrandr or redshift to dim the
> brightness, let's say i turn it all the way down to 0 or something like
> that.
>
> If I turn off the lights in the room, I can still see the led behind the
> screen lighting up the four corners of the screen.
>
> Not to mention that xset command you referenced me earlier doesn't work for
> even turning off the monitor.
>
> btw, I use i3lock -c 000000 to try to get a black screen as well but again,
> the lights are still there.
>
> On Thu, Sep 29, 2016 at 4:58 PM, Scott Bennett <bennett at sdf.org> wrote:
>
>> blubee blubeeme <gurenchan at gmail.com> wrote:

~~ Ken Moore ~~