gfx-next update: drm-4.8-rc2 tagged in drm-next

Pete Wright pete at nomadlogic.org
Thu Sep 29 02:42:39 UTC 2016

On 9/28/16 6:40 PM, Bob Willcox wrote:

> Well, I may have spoken a little too soon. I switched monitors (from a
> 1920x1080 Dell to a 2560x1440 Dell) and installed vlc (with a number of
> dependencies) and now X won't start up for my ID any longer (still works for
> root). In case it may help, below is my latest Xorg.0.log file. For some
> reason the intel driver isn't working.  Note the line:
>
> (WW) Falling back to old probe method for fbdev
>
> And then it trys fbdev, which also fails due to a problem with fbdevhw. Anyone
> have any idea what may be wrong?

interesting - are you specifically calling fbdev in your xorg.conf?
this is an unaccelerated driver i think, which leads me to believe that
the xf86-intel driver is not working for some reason.

what is the version of your xf86-intel driver?  this is the version i am
using with my skylake system:

$ pkg info -f xf86-video-intel-2.99.917.20160614
xf86-video-intel-2.99.917.20160614
Name           : xf86-video-intel
Version        : 2.99.917.20160614
Installed on   : Thu Jul 28 18:45:42 2016 PDT
Origin         : x11-drivers/xf86-video-intel
Architecture   : freebsd:12:x86:64
<snip>

also this is the relevant section of my xorg for reference:

Section "Device"
         Identifier  "Card0"
         Driver      "intel"
         Option     "TearFree" "true"