What graphics card for FreeBSD HTPC/Media (NVidia vs Radeon)

Petr Fischer petr.fischer at me.com
Wed Sep 28 23:15:24 UTC 2016

Hello, I have small HTPC home server with FreeBSD and AMD Sempron X2 2650 - there is integrated Radeon HD 8240 (Kabini / R3 Series) graphics card, but not supported by FreeBSD radeon driver - only VESA and this has abs. no performance for today media playing (I installed Kodi 16.1 in a jail)...

There is free PCIe16 slot in HTPC, so I probably  need to  buy some new/old graphic card, what is the best solution for HTPC:

1) NVidia 210 (what driver?, nv from X11 or from nvidia-driver package?)
2) Radeon HD 5450 or 6450 (supported by kernel radeon driver, but wihout HDMI sound by latest info https://wiki.freebsd.org/Graphics )

So, which way? Nvidia / AMD Radeon?
Or - will be better support for HD 8240 integrated graphics soon?

Needs:

A) passive cooling, low power consumption (max 30W?)
B) perfect stable driver support (may be with blobs, ok)
C) no-problem Full HD video decoding acceleration support (VPDAU?) - let the CPU cool while playing movies/youtube/streams on Full HD screen
D) HDMI support (HDMI audio output is nice, but I can live without it)

Recommend please, thanks! pf