X11 stopped working after upgrading ports

Grzegorz Junka list1 at gjunka.com
Sun Sep 25 20:43:25 UTC 2016

Not sure which port broke it. All was working fine. I was usually
starting X11 with 'startx'. My .xinitrc is pretty standard:

exec /usr/local/bin/lumina-desktop

The problem is that after upgrading some packages the X windows stopped
displaying properly. When I issue 'startx' I see logs from applications
being started when I switch back to the console in which I issued
'startx' (Ctrl+Alt+1). However, nothing is happening on the X11 screen
(Alt+9). The screen remains black, the mouse cursors stays where it was
before issuing 'startx' but doesn't move. And there is the big white
text cursor in the left upper corner. And that's it.

I compiled packages with poudriere. One of the upgraded packages was
nvidia-driver which is now at version 367.44 (before it was 35x
something, don't remember). I wasn't changing anything in
/etc/X11/xorg.conf but I re-run nvidia-xconfig just in case. It didn't help.

Was there any special script that I supposed to run after upgrading
nvidia driver? I remember having to run something but I don't remember
from where and in what conditions. Anything else that might have broken
it? I tried with fluxbox instead of lumina-desktop but it doesn't make
any difference. How to debug this problem?

Grzegorz