Wierd streaks on the desktop : Is there and issue with the Radeon driver ?

Manish Jain bourne.identity at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 26 08:39:43 UTC 2016

Hi,

I am on a FreeBSD 11 Release amd64 box with AMD A6-6400K processor and
Asus A68 (FM2) motherboard. The system has integrated Radeon HD 8470D
graphics.

'man radeon' lists the following cards as supported :

<<
OLAND       Radeon HD 8000 series

Now, As far as I remember, my complete CPU name is OKHLBOX Richland and
the graphics adapter is HD 8470D. Does that line not suggest that my
adapter too should be supported ? If yes, is there tweak to be applied
to get the adapter to work under FreeBSD ? The adapter works well
OpenSuse Linux 42.1 released a year back.

Under FreeBSD, Gnome craps out visibly, with streaks and lines all over
the desktop. This is despite the fact that the radeon driver now seems
more upstream. There is a lot of diagnostic info I get with 'kldload
radeon'. That kind of output I only got from Linux earlier. But still
FreeBSD Gnome craps out, and the only way I can get Gnome to work under
FreeBSD is to use the vesa driver.

KDE works 98% okay with the radeon driver. The 2% glitch is for a combo
of 2 factors :

1) when I enable what are called Desktop Effects in KDE, I get to see
the same wierd streaks and lines on the desktop
2) most X screensavers too (e.g. Stairs) display wierd streaks

So is there an issue with the FreeBSD radeon driver which meddles with
HD 8470D graphics ?

Thanks for any help
Manish Jain