10bit and wide color gamut on FreeBSD/nvidia

h2+lists2014 at fsfe.org h2+lists2014 at fsfe.org
Sun Oct 9 14:35:56 UTC 2016

Hi folks,

I am currently thinking about getting a large 4K Display with wide color
gamut support (> 99% Adobe) and 10bit per channel color information.

If I understand it correctly, in general the hardware-calibrated color
accuracy and the wider gamut should "just work", but the 10bit support
can be tricky.
It is supported on Linux with the proprietary NVidia drivers (has to be
tunrned on manually), but not with the Free drivers.

On the application side the support is mixed, with KDE and Gnome
supporting it and some other Environments not. My tool of choice for
Photo editing, darktable, currently does not support it, but I would be
willing to work on that…

So my question: do any of you have experience with this? Are there
reasons why the nvidia driver on FreeBSD should not support this, while
the Linux one does?

I can hack on the application side, but if the stack straight-out
doesn't support it, I would not want to spend 1000€ on a screen that
looks like a 500€ screen.

Thank you very much,
Hannes
--