xdm and chooser woes

Gerrit Kühn gerrit at weinberg2.de
Thu May 26 20:43:51 UTC 2016

On Thu, 26 May 2016 13:25:53 -0700
Kevin Oberman <rkoberman at gmail.com> wrote:

KO> Unfortunately, reports like this are often lost and never seen by
KO> anyone so might fix them, especially when dealing with software
KO> that is not commonly used. Mail is transitory for most people and
KO> often messages to mail lists are simply skipped when it is not
KO> convenient to read them. While it is fine to report these issues to
KO> the maintainer, problems should really be reported as bugs to the
KO> FreeBSD Bugzilla. https://bugs/freebsd.org/bugzilla It may not be
KO> fixed promptly, but at least it won't be forgotten or lost.

I started here as I wanted to make sure that I'm not doing something
very obvious wrong. While the setup may not be too common these days
(otoh, how do other people operate their thin clients?), I'd still think
that there are people out there using this, and I thought that someone
might just turn up with a "works for me" here. If you say this already
sounds valid enough for a bug report, I'll happily create one.

KO> I just checked and found no report of this problem. Please open a
KO> bug and the odds of this being fixed will improve significantly,
KO> though not by me as I have not used xdm in at least 20 years and
KO> probably could not fix it if I did.

I can add one or two more things concerning the default xdm
configuration delivered that need changes to make them work as
expected.

And if anyone can suggest a different display manager capable of doing
indirect queries and displaying a chooser screen, I'm all ears...

cu
  Gerrit