4.6 DRM/i915 update CFT (Sandy Bridge?)/IvyBridge/Haswell/Broadwell/SkyLake/KabyLake supported

Juan Ramón Molina Menor listjm at club.fr
Tue May 24 07:00:14 UTC 2016

Le 24/05/2016 00:03, Matthew Macy a écrit :

>   ---- On Mon, 23 May 2016 14:57:44 -0700 Juan Ramón Molina Menor <listjm at club.fr> wrote ----
>   > Le 23/05/2016 20:46, Matthew Macy a écrit :
>   > >
>   > >
>   > >
>   > >   ---- On Mon, 23 May 2016 01:44:17 -0700 Juan Ramón Molina Menor <listjm at club.fr> wrote ----
>   > >   > Hi!
>   > >   >
>   > >   > Your commits overnight have restored and even improved the performance
>   > >   > with my Haswell (HD 4400) GPU: Lower CPU usage and snappier resize /
>   > >   > full-screen changes.
>   > >   >
>   > >   > But on the other hand, loading the i915kms module through startx
>   > >   > (non-root) panics, I have to use kldload i915kms.
>   > >   >
>   > >   > Also, changing the power mode (plugging or unplugging the power cord)
>   > >   > leads to instant panic, while with the drm-next-3.9 branch, switching
>   > >   > AC/battery modifies backlight value up and down without issues. I have
>   > >   > replaced the screenshot:
>   > >   >
>   > >   > https://wiki.freebsd.org/Laptops/ThinkPad_S440?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=panic-DRM-46.jpg
>   > >
>   > > I'll need the backtrace from both panics. Neither of them occurs on my hardware. If you have a problem recovering a core dump try loading drm2 first and then setting dev.drm.skip_ddb=1. That will bypass much of the work that panic tries to do to quiesce the CPU before dumping core.
>   > >
>   > > -M
>   > >
>   >
>   > Thanks for your attention.
>   >
>   > Attached the screenshot resulting from the following:
>   >
>   > # kldload drm2
>   > # sysctl dev.drm.skip_ddb=1
>   > # kldload i915kms
>   > [plug / unplug the power cord  (the result is exactly the same)]
>   >
>   > panic: IMPLEMENT ME
>   > …then the backtrace:
>   >
>   > https://wiki.freebsd.org/Laptops/ThinkPad_S440?action=AttachFile&do=view&target=panic-DRM-46-AC-battery.jpg
>   >
>   > I have tried setting the same values for
>   > hw.acpi.video.lcd0.{economy,fullpower} but it still panics.
>   >
>   > Sorry for the ACPI noise in the image, that’s another story…
>

> Excellent. That tells me exactly what needs to be done. And the startx panic? If it's a race in I915 you'll still hit it doing the skip_ddb step first I'd think. I really should make that a tunable.

Sorry but for the startx case I cannot get more than the previously
posted hang:
https://wiki.freebsd.org/Laptops/ThinkPad_S440?action=AttachFile&do=view&target=panic-DRM-46.jpg

Either it reboots right after issuing startx (if I don’t previously
kldload i915kms) or hangs as above after some video playing (with the
drm2, sysctl dev.drm.skip_ddb=1 sequence).

Best regards,
Juan