i915 update to Linux 3.8 ready!

Jean-Sébastien Pédron jean-sebastien.pedron at dumbbell.fr
Sat Mar 12 12:02:19 UTC 2016

On 11/03/2016 22:38, Jean-Sébastien Pédron wrote:
> On 11/03/2016 22:32, Frederic Chardon wrote:
>>> Could you please send the whole core.txt.$n?
>>
>> Unfortunately no, I just have the full coredump. What should I do to get it?
>
> You can use crashinfo(8). Something like:
>   crashinfo -k /path/to/kernel

FYI, after off-list debugging, there are two problems:

    1. The i915 page fault handler didn't handle the -ERESTARTSYS error
       code returned by __wait_seqno() in case of a signal, causing the
       page fault to fai instead of being restarted. This is fixed in
       r296720.

    2. Both the TTM and i915 page fault handlers remove the old page
       before trying to service the fault. If the faul handling fails,
       the page is NULL, causing the kernel to dereference a NULL
       pointer. This is the panic reported by Frédéric. A solution is
       being discussed.

Note that after the fix in r296720, the i915 page fault handler will
succeed in this situation, so the panic described in #2 will not happen.

--
Jean-Sébastien Pédron