4.6 DM/i915 test report on Bay Trail (Celeron J1800)

Natasha Kerensikova natbsd at instinctive.eu
Tue Jul 26 06:09:00 UTC 2016

Hello,

on Monday 25 July 2016 at 12:03, lists at olivarim.com wrote:
> Did you ever try to load a recent linux distribution onto the NUC?

Just to be clear, mine is not a thing commercially known as NUC, it's
just a bare Asrock D1800B-ITX motherboard (with embedded passive cooled
Celeron J1800) in a custom mini-ITX case.

> I ask that question because I also own a NUC (the pentium one, with
> the same graphics) and I saw the very same artifacts you’re talking
> about with Fedora 23 and 24. If you boot the Fedora 24 live media, you
> are likely to see them too. On Fedora 23, they only appear post
> install.

I have just tried a Fedora 24 Live USB stick, with all packages as
they were when Fedora 24 was released (kernel 4.5.5, intel driver
2.99.917) and everything worked fine out-of-the-box: youtube in Firefox,
gnomeshell, (though not my test video files, because there is no
RPMFusion). I saw no artifact at all.

However I have no idea whether I was running with SNA or UXA, it was
just working directly out-of-the-box (and I haven't found
/var/log/Xorg.0.log).

> I’m mentionning this here because as far as I know, the FreeBSD intel
> driver is ported from Linux, and I’m afraid that those issues were
> also ported with it.

That's a very good point, one can't expect a FreeBSD driver port to fix
native bugs. Unfortunately, at least in my case, it seems the issue
stems from the port rather than the original driver.

Thanks for the comment,
Natasha