Debugging System Lockup

Arto Pekkanen isoa at kapsi.fi
Wed Jul 6 11:31:44 UTC 2016

Pete Wright kirjoitti 01.07.2016 20:49:
> Unfortunately the system I am debugging only has USB - I investigated
> using some of the advanced Intel SOL functionality on the system (it's
> Lenovo M900 Tiny micro-computer) but it requires windows to work.
>
> I did test using a usb->db9 serial adapter which was then connected to
> may laptop (which also had a usb->db9 serial adapter) but that was
> unsuccessful.
>
> cheers,
> -pete

Here is an example on how to setup a SoL system console:
https://gist.github.com/pvalkone/9292589

In order to configure SoL on your device, you will need to enable SoL in
the firmware settings first. THEN you must take note of the i/o port
that the SoL port uses, because without that information you cannot
configure kernel console to use the specific port.

When you configure a SoL port, you must also set a username and
password. They are used to authenticate the IPMI terminal session from a
remote computer.

If you have SoL configured, you can figure out the i/o port address:
dmesg | grep uart

You might get multiple uarts with different ports, but one of them is
the true SoL serial port. You have to try which one is it, unless you
know exactly what settings you enabled in firmware.

The most important lines go to /boot/loader.conf:
boot_multicons="YES"
boot_serial="YES"
console="comconsole,vidconsole"
comconsole_port="0x248"

In your case, you do NOT need to make changes to /etc/ttys, because you
do not need to login via SoL!

The "comconsole_port" variable must be set to the i/o port value your
SoL is configured with.

Not sure if the other settings apply in your case.

After you've modified loader.conf, start IPMI terminal program on some
other computer and connect to the SoL, reboot your computer and you
should get all boot messages etc on the IPMI terminal.

I got SoL working without problems on my Thinkpad T430. I might post my
laptop config files later, if I feel like it.

--
Arto Pekkanen