Testing i915 - The easy way

Jean-Sébastien Pédron dumbbell at FreeBSD.org
Sun Jan 10 19:48:17 UTC 2016

On 10/01/2016 01:51, Tommi Pernila wrote:
> Hi all,

Hi!

> TL:DR;
> Did a script that gathers all X and drm relevant logs and some data from
> the hardware.
> dsfx.sh - a Debugging Script For things relating to Xorg

Awesome!

A few comments after a quick read:
    o  You store the output of "pciconf -lvbce" to have more
       informations about the PCI devices.
    o  The output of "devinfo -vr" could be nice too.
    o  X.Org server configuration files could be in
       /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d too.
    o  If the kernel video driver is not loaded during boot (but loaded
       when X is started), dmesg.boot won't contain GPU informations.
       Maybe you could grep ": \[drm[:\]]" in /var/log/messages.

> Jean it might be a good idea to include this or something better to the
> drm-i915-update-38 branch?

A better place would be a port. We could even make it a dependency of
xorg-server, Mesa or libdrm, for instance, so everyone has the script
out-of-the-box.

Would you be interested in submitting a port for your script?

> Found out that there is some issues with the latest drm-i915-update-38
> branch with my laptop.
> I'm guessing that it might be cause of the resolution of the screen (
> 2880x1620 )?

Possible, modes above 1080p seem broken for several users (including me).

> The End Game idea would be to integrate Phoronix Test Suite (found in
> ports) to all of this.
> This would produce actual test suites (OpenGL etc) and create nice
> graphs to see actual regressions.

On this topic, Piglit, the Mesa testsuite, is almost ready in our
development Ports tree.

Thank you very much!

--
Jean-Sébastien Pédron