Guide to contribute to kernel video drivers

Jean-Sébastien Pédron jean-sebastien.pedron at dumbbell.fr
Sat Feb 20 23:37:05 UTC 2016

Le 20/02/2016 08:43, Eax Melanhovich a écrit :
> Hello

Hi!

> Thanks a lot for a guide!

You're welcome!

> Do I right understand that the only way to debug a kernel is to crash
> it and then analyze a dump using gdb? Is it possible to attach to a
> running kernel remotely?

It's probably possible to debug a live kernel, but I never did this
because I don't have a working serial remote access.

> Are there any books or tutorials regarding kernel development you would
> recommend? For instance are these books relevant and still actual:
>
> * FreeBSD Architecture Handbook (2013, 178 pages)
> * FreeBSD Developers' Handbook (2014, 178 pages)

I didn't read the ones you mention. I have and recommend the following
books:
    o  The Design and Implementation of the FreeBSD Operating System,
       2nd edition, 2014
    o  FreeBSD Device Drivers: A Guide for the Intrepid, 2012

> I believe some experience with Linux kernel is required too?

Required, no (for instance, I don't have any :). But it surely can help
to understand some underlying difference in behaviors.

> Same question - which books and/or tutorials would you recommend and
> is a book "Linux Kernel Development, 3rd Edition" (2010, 441 pages)
> still actual?

I don't have any recommendation, sorry :(

--
Jean-Sébastien Pédron