What are the criteria for contributing to development and testing?

Jean-Sébastien Pédron jean-sebastien.pedron at dumbbell.fr
Fri Feb 19 08:21:25 UTC 2016

On 17/02/2016 16:07, Anil Gulati wrote:
> Dear FreeBSD-X11,

Hi!

> My thread on FreeBSD forums base system
> https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/55054/ helped me establish that buying
> an Intel NUC or System 76 with 5th Gen Broadwell Intel i3/i/5/i7 would be a
> no go for X11 on FreeBSD https://wiki.freebsd.org/Graphics
>
> Is it possible for me to contribute to the development and testing of
> driver support to get these chips working with the Intel HD Graphics 6000
> 6100 etc?

Thank you very much for offering your help!

I will send some instructions to get you started in a separate thread.

There is no specific criteria to contribute beside probably owning the
relevant hardware :) The only thing I ask is that contributors
communicate on what they are doing so people don't do the same thing in
parallel.

> Does this mean I can't even get console working on Skylake? I'm not sure if
> Linux has support for Skylake yet either? Can I even install FreeBSD if I
> can't see console?

As other said, no VGA support means it won't have VGA output connectors.
I believe it will keep support for the VGA "API". You'll see the console
and you can use xf86-video-vesa or xf86-video-scfb to start an X server.

Linux has Skylake support, though I don't know how stable it is. This
landed in 4.3 I think (I could be wrong).

So, let's write some instructions now.

--
Jean-Sébastien Pédron