graphics do NOT work

anonymous johnandsara2 at cox.net
Fri Feb 19 02:51:06 UTC 2016

Jan Bramkamp wrote:
> On 18/02/16 10:16, Adrenal1ne wrote:
>> Hello!
>> Graphics work very bad. Only vesa mode.
>> Picture slide very SLOW.
>> Not good for me.
>> I buy new notebook i7-6700HQ with intel video.
>
> FreeBSD still lacks support for integrated Skylake GPUs. Does your
> laptop contain a supported dedicated GPU (e.g. Nvidia) as well?

that's a fly-by night chipset.  the mfg doesn't support their own chip
after it's release in a proprietary product.  in a year they will change
the design to cause failure of all previous software attempts to support
it - and might do so simply to prevent outside development.  in any case
it's a one-release wonder, and not many suppliers carry it and they'll
not continue to make it once they've "run through their printing".

it's a good thing bsd is slow to invite hardware support, in some ways

POINT: they could have release source code drivers (they likely dont
even have them themselves, probably got it all from some intel developer
board and didn't bother).  they could have even release some source for
leveraging multimedia (such as dvd decoder, if the chipset even has one)

my advice is do not waste your time with fly-by-night multimedia support
your $$ being paid to, and if you are, then offer others $$ for getting
consulting on the job.

that's just advice though - your free to disagree wholey :)