Does FreeBSD support OpenGL 3.3?

anonymous johnandsara2 at cox.net
Fri Feb 19 02:09:07 UTC 2016

Eax Melanhovich wrote:
> Hello, Michael
>
>> The WIP kernel driver instructions are here:
>> https://wiki.freebsd.org/Graphics/Update%20i915%20GPU%20driver%20to%20Linux%203.8
>
> It works! I have OpenGL 3.3 now. But there is a problem.
>
> Here is a program I used to test OpenGL support:
>
> https://github.com/afiskon/c-opengl-text
>
> This is how it looks on Ubuntu, Windows and MacOS:
>
> http://eax.me/files/2016/02/opengl-text.jpg
>
> And this is how it looks on FreeBSD:
>
> http://imagizer.imageshack.com/img923/6271/UrwLLK.png
>
> All DXT textures are rendered either black or white. I recognize this
> behaviour because I observed it recently when I tried to run OpenGL
> examples on VMWare:
>
> http://askubuntu.com/questions/730536/vmware-workstation-doesnt-render-dds-dxt-textures
>
> Also note suspicious output from libGL.

OpenGL 1.0 - 1.3 by Silicon Graphics (i know you said 3.3) were release
full source "compile it yourself", i did so in linux and (win95 before i
boycotted ms products for a ton of consumer attacks reasons).  the glut
glx were also full source AND WORKING (no "depends lists", no broken
compile environment harassment, etc)

SO: if it is an "OpenGL" product it will work (it will work in software
mode - if you want "all in silicon OpenGL" to work by drivers: then DONT
buy any common commercial card i'd think; and you need drivers not
OpenGL 3.3

if it does NOT work: then it's become a phony and itself is under attack
by hackers

it is that simple