What are the criteria for contributing to development and testing?

Anil Gulati gulati.au at gmail.com
Wed Feb 17 15:07:18 UTC 2016

Dear FreeBSD-X11,

My thread on FreeBSD forums base system
https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/55054/ helped me establish that buying
an Intel NUC or System 76 with 5th Gen Broadwell Intel i3/i/5/i7 would be a
no go for X11 on FreeBSD https://wiki.freebsd.org/Graphics

Is it possible for me to contribute to the development and testing of
driver support to get these chips working with the Intel HD Graphics 6000
6100 etc?

And if I go for a 6th Gen Skylake Intel i3/i5/i7 is it possible and
appropriate to contribute to development and testing on Skylake before
Haswell or Broadwell support is finished?

One thing worries me on Skylake is that I read that the Skylake chipset
"retires VGA support"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_HD_and_Iris_Graphics#Skylake

Does this mean I can't even get console working on Skylake? I'm not sure if
Linux has support for Skylake yet either? Can I even install FreeBSD if I
can't see console?

What are the criteria for contributing to development and testing?

Thanks
AniilG