Does FreeBSD support OpenGL 3.3?

Eax Melanhovich afiskon at devzen.ru
Sun Feb 14 17:57:46 UTC 2016

> All DXT textures are rendered either black or white. I recognize this
> behaviour because I observed it recently when I tried to run OpenGL
> examples on VMWare

Well, installing libtxn_dxtn-20140604 package solved an issue with DXT
textures. Everything renders OK now.

Also I managed to crash a kernel :)

Here is corresponding /var/crash/vmcore.0 file:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/19923518/temp/vmcore.0.tgz

Hope this is a file you need since I'm not a kernel developer and wiki
says something regarding core.txt.* which I don't have.

I didn't manage to find exact steps to reproduce a crash but after
running an application for a while, resizing windows, switching
desktops, enabling/disabling wireframes mode (X button) etc it
reproduces regularly.

Another problem I found is that everything renders OK when I run
application using sudo:

http://imagizer.imageshack.com/img923/8076/VoUVVt.png

But when I don't use sudo there is a lot of artifacts and FPS is only
about 15 instead of 60:

http://imagizer.imageshack.com/img924/8987/L71OjT.png

> It seems it fails to open the drm device. Have you added your user to
> the "video" group?

I'm afraid I don't have such a group:

```
sudo pw group mod video -m eax
pw: unknown group `-1'
```

--
Best regards,
Eax Melanhovich

On Sun, 14 Feb 2016 09:44:16 -0800
"Lundberg, Johannes" <johannes at brilliantservice.co.jp> wrote:

> Hello Eax
>
> It seems it fails to open the drm device. Have you added your user to
> the "video" group?
>

> --
> Name:     Johannes Lundberg
> Position: Mirama project leader
> Phone:    +1-408-636-2161
> Skype:    brilliantjohannes
> Online:   LinkedIn <http://jp.linkedin.com/in/lundbergjohannes>
> Facebook <https://www.facebook.com/miramaone> Reddit
> <https://www.reddit.com/user/yohanesu75/> Twitter
> <https://twitter.com/Yohanesu75Tweet> GitHub
> <https://github.com/yohanesu75> GitLab
> <https://gitlab.com/u/johannes_lundberg> Company:  Mirama
> <http://mira.ma> Brilliantservice US
> <http://www.brilliantserviceusa.com> Brilliantservice JP
> <http://www.brilliantservice.co.jp>
>
> On Sun, Feb 14, 2016 at 8:49 AM, Eax Melanhovich <afiskon at devzen.ru>
> wrote:
>
> > Hello, Michael
> >
> > > The WIP kernel driver instructions are here:
> > >
> > https://wiki.freebsd.org/Graphics/Update%20i915%20GPU%20driver%20to%20Linux%203.8
> >
> > It works! I have OpenGL 3.3 now. But there is a problem.
> >
> > Here is a program I used to test OpenGL support:
> >
> > https://github.com/afiskon/c-opengl-text
> >
> > This is how it looks on Ubuntu, Windows and MacOS:
> >
> > http://eax.me/files/2016/02/opengl-text.jpg
> >
> > And this is how it looks on FreeBSD:
> >
> > http://imagizer.imageshack.com/img923/6271/UrwLLK.png
> >
> > All DXT textures are rendered either black or white. I recognize
> > this behaviour because I observed it recently when I tried to run
> > OpenGL examples on VMWare:
> >

> > http://askubuntu.com/questions/730536/vmware-workstation-doesnt-render-dds-dxt-textures
> >
> > Also note suspicious output from libGL.
> >
> > --