Test result for drm-i915-update-38 (c6d9af5): system freezes after starting games/openarena

Arto Pekkanen isoa at kapsi.fi
Sat Feb 6 21:47:25 UTC 2016

$ freebsd-version -u
10.2-RELEASE-p10

Hardware: Lenovo Thinkpad T430, Ivy Bridge i5, Intel HD4000.

Configuration: LVDS + 2 displays on HDMI2 and HDMI3

Kernel booted just fine, XDM and X.org started without problems. All 3
displays were configured properly.

First thing I did after login was
# chgrp wheel /dev/dri/*
# dumpon /dev/da0

/dev/da0 is a kingston USB stick, I do NOT have a swap partition on my
laptop (because of reasons).

After I started games/openarena, the computer froze showing the first
frame of the OpenArena startup cinematic. There was no core dumps, no
escape to kernel debugger; just froze. Computer stopped responding via
LAN.

Question: if the kernel crashed, should it not have generated a core
dump? Have I set all relevant configurations properly to get core dump
with this kernel?

I rebooted with stock FreeBSD 10.2 kernel, did savecore -C /dev/da0, but
it found no cores. Saved all relevant configuration files and logs. Logs
are available at:
http://koti.kapsi.fi/~isoa/kernel.i915/logs-2016-02-06T23:12:08.tar.xz

Next thing I am going to try is configure SoL so that I could figure out
what the kernel was doing before system freeze.

NOTE: according to the logs the kernel.i915 boots at Feb  6 23:02:46 ...
just FYI

--
Arto Pekkanen