radeonkms console is grayscale

Jean-Sébastien Pédron jean-sebastien.pedron at dumbbell.fr
Sat Feb 6 01:18:25 UTC 2016

Le 05/02/2016 21:42, Andrew Daugherity a écrit :
> I also tried an 11.0-current (r294912) live USB, which aside from
> using VT by default even in BIOS mode, has the same problem. It
> boots in VGA mode with color, then after 'kldload radeonkms'
> everything is grayscale.

Hi!

I'm not surprised you get the same result with HEAD and 10.x as the
Radeon driver is the same.

> I do not have xorg installed at all, so apologies if this is the
> wrong list, but this seemed to be the place for kms issues.

Don't worry, this is the correct place :)

> info: [drm] radeon: 16M of VRAM memory ready
> info: [drm] fb depth is 8

By default, the Radeon driver selects a depth of 8 bpp for the console
when the GPU has only 16 MB of video memory:
https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd-base-graphics/blob/master/sys/dev/drm2/radeon/radeon_fb.c#L328-L330

I suppose it does that to keep some free memory for the X.Org server.

You could try to force a mode for the console using a tunable (so in
/boot/loader.conf). For example:
kern.vt.fb.default_mode="1024x768-24"

--
Jean-Sébastien Pédron