End of year Xorg status rant

Matthew Macy mmacy at nextbsd.org
Fri Dec 30 23:54:25 UTC 2016

 > Thanks for reading, merry Solstice and a happy New Year to all of you.
 >

 > SYSTEM:
 > * FreeBSD 11.0-STABLE #0 4370756a792(stable/11): Fri Dec 30 09:48:35 +03 2016
 > * All ports installed through poudrire built packages.
 > * GPU: RS880 [Radeon HD 4250]
 > * Possibly relevant Xorg.log output:
 > (WW) Falling back to old probe method for fbdev
 > (II) Loading /usr/local/lib/xorg/modules/libfbdevhw.so
 > (EE) LoadModule: Module fbdevhw does not have a fbdevhwModuleData data object.
 > (II) UnloadModule: "fbdevhw"
 > (EE) Failed to load module "fbdevhw" (invalid module, 0)
 > (WW) Falling back to old probe method for vesa
 > (WW) VGA arbiter: cannot open kernel arbiter, no multi-card support
 >

 > --
 > FreeBSD_amd64_11-Stable_RadeonKMS
 > Please CC my email when responding, mail from list is not delivered.

I've just updated drm-next (drm/i915/amdgpu/radeon) to linux 4.9. The amdgpu driver works well enough that  I can now dogfood, but is not quite to the point where I would recommend it to others. The radeon driver experiences sufficiently little churn that I can trivially update it whenever I update drm and amdgpu.  However, I have only very lightly tested radeon many months ago, and I personally have no interest in hardware older than the SI that amdgpu now supports. If you care about Radeon I would welcome contributions to its upkeep. Unfortunately, the intersection set between people who care about radeonkms and those attending to its upkeep is currently empty.

-M