Facing problems with onboard ATI Radeon 8470D graphics

Manish Jain bourne.identity at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 10 13:52:04 UTC 2016

I just installed a new Asus A68HM motherboard with an AMD A6-6400K processor. The board has onboard ATI Radeon 8470D graphics adapter chip.

I installed a fresh copy of FreeBSD 10.3 amd64, with great hopes that everything would work out of the box. It did not. The graphics output under Gnome is skewed - half the text of Applications menu list  is missing and strange streaks appear at a few places on the screen.

To check whether there was any RAM problem, I ran a couple of passes under memtest86 with no errors. There are no page fault reports at boot-time either.

I then installed OpenSuse 42.1 leap, where the graphics output is normal. But I want to move back to FreeBSD - that is the only thing I like.

Since the Xorg distribution under FreeBSD and Linux is the same, it should be possible for my setup to work seamlessly on FreeBSD too. Can someone help me get things right ? If not now, maybe with a future release like 11.0/11.1

Thanks for any help
Manish Jain