AMDGPU on TrueOS 12 Failed to open DRM device for pci:0000:01:00.0: No such file or directory

Pete Wright pete at nomadlogic.org
Fri Aug 5 03:36:53 UTC 2016

On 08/04/16 18:22, Peter Peterson wrote:
> Hello, I've been trying to run a BSD on this r9 285 (Tonga) for quite a
> while now and I saw that TrueOS (or PC-BSD) should have implemented the drm
> linux4.6 driver. So I installed TrueOS on my machine and I can't get it to
> work. It seems that it can't find something related to the DRM driver,
> either that or it doesn't see anything at the pci bridge. I wonder if it's
> firmware that it's trying to find, or if it's not seeing the card because
> of a lack of firmware. I know the linux kernel requires some proprietary
> firmware to get it working, I don't know if that firmware is also part of
> the drm driver or comes with TrueOS's kernel. The vesa drivers work, but
> the resolution isn't good and I'm on 2 monitors.
>
> I pasted Xorg's logs here: https://paste.teknik.io/Simple/02gJt
> and xorg config (I had it generated) here:
> https://paste.teknik.io/Simple/nDXpm
>
> I'm not sure if the FreeBSD mailing lists are the best place to ask about
> TrueOS but I really would appreciate your help here. Thank you very much!

you might want to check out this branch that is actively working on
integrating the linux-4.6 DRM code in 11 and CURRENT:

https://github.com/FreeBSDDesktop/freebsd-base-graphics

There is a wiki that offers some pointers on getting started.  I am
personally running this code on skylake and haswell intel GPU's.  There
has also been a bit of work on AMD GPU's but I am unsure of the current
state of that work.

Hope this helps!
-pete

--