clarifying the state of drm-next-3.9 and next steps

Matthew Macy mmacy at nextbsd.org
Tue Apr 12 19:57:37 UTC 2016

There seems to be some confusion about the state of drm-next-3.9. All the work is currently going on in jmd's fork of freebsd-base-graphics:

https://github.com/iotamudelta/freebsd-base-graphics

The emphasis has been on bringing i915 and the drm code  in dev/drm2 closer to upstream as opposed to a simple driver refresh. I'm currently implementing missing linuxkpi bits and hope to actually be testing in the next week or so.

As of this moment there is nothing available for general consumption. I very much hope to have this phase done before code freeze. I will update the list as soon as there is anything to test. Until then, hold your horses.

The next phase will be more interesting to anyone who isn't simply waiting on bug fixes for Haswell support. My plan is to update DRM to 4.6 and import amdgpu and amdkfd support. I would like to be able to do GPGPU work using HIP/HSA on my AMD cards. An ETA on 4.6/amdgpu support is difficult to come up with. But certainly it will _not_ be any earlier than end of May.

-M