Question on missing driver for Radeon HD 7800 Pitcairn / multiple sound cards

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Sat Apr 9 21:47:14 UTC 2016

On Sat, 9 Apr 2016, Judith Munoz wrote:

> I have come to your website after A LOT of googling and searching in
> forums. I have just started using Linux (literally, a week ago) and
> understand VERY little about computers...
>
> Long story short, I cant find the soundcards on my Linux Mint 17.3 (despite
> them being installed). So I get no sound.

FreeBSD is also an operating system, similar to Linux in some ways.
Maybe you were looking for the freedesktop.org site for Xorg
development?

The good news is that you have collected the right type of information.
Driver versions and operating system version are the type of information
that will be needed.

> Is there something I need to do / I can do to get sound? Can I get
> something from your website or do I need to wait?

It won't help much, but my FreeBSD system does claim to have an audio
device for the HDMI port on my Radeon card.  However, I don't have an
HDMI monitor with speakers, so I have not tested that.  (Just went and
looked again... nope, just old monitors with DVI and VGA.  Sometimes
just VGA.)

> Could you please help me? I am really really lost and about to throw in the
> towel. If it is a matter of time, I can wait (ie for drivers to be there)
> but I really dont know what to do. My kernel version is, btw, 3.19.0-32
>
> Many thanks in advance for ANY guidance!

Don't give up!  The first place to check for this kind of information
are the Linux Mint forums or mailing lists.  They should be the ones who
know the details of configuring and running their operating systems:
https://forums.linuxmint.com/

If you can't get that working, PC-BSD is a FreeBSD desktop system
similar to Linux Mint: pcbsd.org (Naturally, this is the weekend their
move to a different webserver is taking place, so that link might be
slow or not responding at all.)

I wish I could tell you that PC-BSD supported HDMI audio on Radeon
cards, but again, just old monitors here and no way to test.  But it
might, FreeBSD's audio system is different from the one in Linux.

Good luck!