Testing the new i915 driver

Anders Bolt-Evensen andersbo87 at icloud.com
Fri Oct 23 13:53:05 UTC 2015

So I tested the new i915 driver on my Acer Aspire V17-791G-711B that has
an Intel HD 4600 card.
The problem that I have is that when I attempt to do anything that
requires use of the graphics card,
the system is kind of slow. e.g. when I attempt to play back a 1080p
video using VLC as a regular user, playback sort of lags (using default
video playback settings, the video does not play back at all). If I open
VLC through a terminal window (as a regular user), I get the following
error messages:
libGL error: failed to open drm device: Permission denied
libGL error: failed to load driver: i965
However, if I do "sudo vlc", (run VLC as root), change playback settings
so they match the settings I use as a regular user, the video plays back
just fine.

I have uploaded the output of dmesg, one before attempting to playback
video (dmesg.txt) and one after the apptempt (new_dmesg.txt). Both files
are compressed with bzip2.
The chosen video output for both regular and root user is "X11 video
output (XCB)".

Anders