Testing the new i915 driver (rev. 3820047)

Arto Pekkanen isoa at kapsi.fi
Sun Oct 18 01:38:03 UTC 2015

New information regarding OpenGL application hangs and core dumps.

Procedure
- boot with kernel.i915
   - do not load i915kms at loader
- startx as normal user OR xdm via /etc/ttys, no difference

Tested applications thus far: chrome, openarena, compton.

When I use SNA acceleration, I can get OpenGL applications to work
without core dumping. Sometimes fullscreen applications cause black
areas to emerge over regions of other windows, which go away after
resizing windows or doing something that triggers a redraw (damage
event, probably).

However, when I use UXA acceleration instead of SNA acceleration (by
removing my intel specific configuration OR setting UXA directly in
conf), openarena and compton both crash with core dump. Also, they blank
the screen, and to get display back I have to vt switch back and forth.

In short, the default UXA acceleration is broken for me in kernel.i915.
I must use SNA acceleration, which works most of the time, except when
it glitches so that damaged regions do not get redrawn.

My config for SNA:
# cat <<EOF >/usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-intel.conf
> Section "Device"
> Identifier "Intel IGP"
> Driver "intel"
> Option "AccelMethod" "SNA"
> Option "TearFree" "true"
> EndSection

I will produce a Test Scenario for this later, but for now I will just
report my findings.

--
Arto Pekkanen