Success! Was: Testing the new i915 driver (HD Graphics 4400)

Arto Pekkanen isoa at kapsi.fi
Sun Oct 11 18:02:10 UTC 2015

Would you like to elaborate on this "High CPU usage when playing videos"? Did you mean "high CPU usage when compared to previous driver"? Or what are the exact metrics for this statement?

I am a multi-system power user, and I can tell you that in a vanilla Debian 8.0 installation with Intel driver, on my Thinkpad T430, Chromium eats 20%+ CPU when playing HD videos from Youtube. Also, to get rid of video tearing issues, one need to use x11-wm/compton to do composition in both FreeBSD and Debian (or any other Linuxen). The compositor causes further +20-40% CPU usage per OpenGL/GLX process (guaranteed, tested, no workaround). The compositor induced per process overhead could be done away by tweaking driver options, compositor configuration etc. but it requires a lot of experimentation (and frankly, most people just give up at this point and learn to live with either high CPU usage or video tearing). In general, most systems using X.org/X11 is really, really awful at video playback when compared to Windows or OS X. This is why there are video acceleration interfaces, such as Intel VAAPI or nVidia VDPAU that negate the CPU overhead and eliminate tearing.

Plese try VAAPI. You must compile in the VAAPI support in both the player and the AV codec framework. If you VAAPI helped with the high CPU usage, a report would be appreciated.