error with portmaster x11-servers/xorg-server

Kevin Oberman rkoberman at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 17:11:42 UTC 2015

On Tue, Mar 17, 2015 at 9:38 AM, Patricia <pb44287 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, am new to freebsd.  My error said to send you this info.
>
> checking for special C compiler options needed for large files... no
> checking for _FILE_OFFSET_BITS value needed for large files... no
> checking for X... configure: error: Package requirements (xproto >=
> 7.0.17) were             not met:
>
> Package xproto was not found in the pkg-config search path.
> Perhaps you should add the directory containing `xproto.pc'
> Package 'xproto', required by 'world', not found
>
> Consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if you
> installed software in a non-standard prefix.
>
> Alternatively, you may set the environment variables X_CFLAGS
> and X_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.
> See the pkg-config man page for more details.
>
> ===>  Script "configure" failed unexpectedly.
> Please report the problem to x11 at FreeBSD.org [maintainer] and attach the
> "/usr/ports/devel/makedepend/work/makedepend-1.0.5/config.log" including
> the
> output of the failure of your make command. Also, it might be a good idea
> provide an overview of all packages installed on your system (e.g. a
> /usr/local/sbin/pkg-static info -g -Ea).
> *** Error code 1
>

> root at bsd-v:/usr/ports # /usr/local/sbin/pkg-static info -g -Ea
> dialog4ports-0.1.5_2           Console Interface to configure ports
> expat-2.1.0_2                  XML 1.0 parser written in C
> gettext-runtime-0.19.4         GNU gettext runtime libraries and programs
> indexinfo-0.2.2                Utility to regenerate the GNU info page
> libdevq-0.0.2_1                Generic Device Query and Monitor interface
> libffi-3.2.1                   Foreign Function Interface
> libpciaccess-0.13.2_2          Generic PCI access library
> llvm35-3.5.1                   Low Level Virtual Machine
> pciids-20150303                Database of all known IDs used in PCI
> devices
> perl5-5.18.4_11                Practical Extraction and Report Language
> pkg-1.4.12                     Package manager
> portmaster-3.17.7              Manage your ports without external
> databases or languages
> py27-setuptools27-5.5.1_1      Python packages installer
> python27-2.7.9                 Interpreted object-oriented programming
> language
> root at bsd-v:/usr/ports #

Patricia,

Welcome to FreeBSD!

What command did you use that generated the error? xorg-server clearly
depends on xproto and that is not installed. The ports system should
automatically install all dependencies before attempting to install a port
or package.

It looks like you are installing this (and, perhaps other) ports by
building from the sources. While this can provide advantage in some cases,
it is generally not encouraged and is certainly far more time consuming.
Installing pre-compiled binaries is far, far faster and less error prone.

I'd recommend reading the FreeBSD Handbook chapter on ports.
https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/ports.html. At
least read through 5.4 which covers the basics and the use of pre-build
binaries.
--
Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer, Retired