Mouse clicks not registering

Jonathan Anderson jonathan at FreeBSD.org
Wed Jun 3 12:45:30 UTC 2015

Hello freebsd-x11,

I’m running a 10.1-RELEASE desktop in the Handbook-recommended configuration (dbus, hald and /dev/sysmouse as generated by `Xorg -configure`). I have a Dell-branded USB mouse plugged directly into the machine, not via any hub. My problem is that which I click mouse button, something (sysmouse? HAL? X?) stops listening to further clicks until I send a different mouse event (move the mouse, click a different button, etc.).

For instance, if I click in an xev window, it tells me:

```
ButtonPress event, serial 37, synthetic NO, window 0x2000001,
  root 0x2c4, subw 0x0, time 2489508586, (167,8), root:(1358,641),
  state 0x0, button 1, same_screen YES

ButtonRelease event, serial 37, synthetic NO, window 0x2000001,
  root 0x2c4, subw 0x0, time 2489508659, (167,8), root:(1358,641),
  state 0x100, button 1, same_screen YES
```

but subsequent clicks do not register. It doesn’t matter if I double-click or wait 10 seconds before clicking, the left button gets ignored until I do something else with the mouse (e.g., move it a hair), at which point I can click again... but only once.

Any ideas how I can debug this problem at a lower level than xev? Is there a tool for watching /dev/sysmouse events? Is this a known issue with some aspect of my setup?

Thanks,

Jonathan Anderson
—
jonathan at FreeBSD.org