Status report on Haswell support

Jean-Sébastien Pédron dumbbell at FreeBSD.org
Fri Jul 3 23:26:00 UTC 2015

Hi!

Several people are rightfuly asking about Haswell support and I failed
to communicate properly (as well as get back to people on the
mailing-list in general). So here is a status update :)

I had very little time to work on i915 since February. Fortunately, this
will improve, starting from this month. I need to refresh the
informations on the wiki and keep it up-to-date.

The goal is to update i915 to match Linux 3.8. Yes, this version was
released in early 2013, but the other components (the device-independent
code and the Radeon driver) of the DRM subsystem are already in sync
with 3.8. I hope once all components are on the same page, it will ease
future maintenance.

To do the port, I'm taking Linux 3.8 as the original code and
DragonFlyBSD source code to see what François Tigeot did and take some
pieces of code. Rui Paulo already contributed some code too, thank you!

The work is published on GitHub:
https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd-base-graphics/tree/drm-i915-update-38

I don't need any testers right now, the driver does not compile anyway.
If you want to help port the code however, you are more than welcome! In
this case, please come to #freebsd-xorg on EFnet so we can coordinate
the efforts.

I hope to have something ready to test around September. Obviously, it
won't make it into FreeBSD 10.2-RELEASE. However, it should be possible
to make it available as a port, like what is done for FreeBSD
9.3-RELEASE today.

Thank you very much for your patience!

--
Jean-Sébastien Pédron