Problems with an Elantech (Synaptics) Touchpad

Anthony Jenkins Scoobi_doo at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 27 19:39:56 UTC 2015

On 01/27/15 14:26, Anthony Jenkins wrote:
> Thanks for logs, I'll review them in a bit.
>
> Those touchpad functions are provided by the Xorg Synaptics driver,
> but FreeBSD's x11-synaptics driver won't attach to the current X
> server for a variety of reasons I'll ramble on about when I submit my
> patches.  I'll try to get 'em in today (in the next hour if I'm
> feelin' lucky).
>
> I'm running FreeBSD-CURRENT (11.0) with the patches now and my
> Synaptics-based touchpad supports all these taps, 2-finger scrolling,
> etc.
>
> In the meantime, can you try enabling Synaptics support in your psm(4)
> driver by adding the following line to /boot/loader.conf and rebooting
> (also enable verbose boot when the bootloader comes up):
>
> hw.psm.synaptics_support="1"
>
> This will at least tell if your touchpad is a Synaptics-capable
> device.  Send the output of
>
> dmesg | grep psm
>
> to this list.

 From your Xorg.0.log it looks like your manually-crafted Xorg.conf file
is loading the Synaptics x11 driver, but psm(4) isn't in "synaptics"
mode.  Adding the above loader variable should fix that.  Try using the
touchpad after rebooting it with that loader variable; if it doesn't
work, post the new Xorg.0.log file to this list.

Anthony

> Thanks,
> Anthony Jenkins
>
> On 01/27/15 14:07, Mohammad Najafi wrote:
>> Dear Anthony Jenkins:
>>
>> Thanks for your kind reply.
>> Attached, please find all the log and config files needed.
>>
>> By the way, the touchpad model, according to the Asus website
>> (http://www.asus.com/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/ASUS_ZENBOOK_UX21E/HelpDesk_Download/)
>> is Elantech Touchpad.
>> Also, it is fully supported in my openSuSE linux with vertical and
>> horizontal scrolling along with 1, 2, and 3 finger taps.
>>
>> Thanks again.
>> M.Najafi
>>

>> On Tue, Jan 27, 2015 at 6:55 PM, Anthony Jenkins
>> <scoobi_doo at yahoo.com <mailto:scoobi_doo at yahoo.com>> wrote:
>>
>>     You didn't say exactly what the problem is with your touchpad...
>>

>>     You're missing the Xorg.0.log file; that will be the most helpful.
>>
>>     I'm preparing to submit some patches to ports
>>     x11-server/xorg-server, x11-drivers/xf86-input-mouse and
>>     x11-drivers/xf86-input-synaptics to allow devd(8) and the X server
>>     to use the Synaptics driver on FreeBSD... just gotta clean up some
>>     debug statements.
>>
>>     Anthony Jenkins

Anthony Jenkins
Software Engineer