[Call for testers] DRM device-independent code update to Linux 3.8

Shawn Webb lattera at gmail.com
Wed Feb 18 00:21:17 UTC 2015

On Wednesday, February 18, 2015 12:45:36 AM Jean-Sébastien Pédron wrote:
> Hi!
>
> An update to the DRM subsystem, not including the drivers, is ready for
> wider testing!
>
> The patch against HEAD is here:
> https://people.freebsd.org/~dumbbell/graphics/drm-update-38.f.patch
>
> I'm interested in success/failure reports for amd64, powerpc and
> powerpc64 users, for i915 and Radeon GPUs. I already know there is a
> build issue on i386, please wait for the next patch if you are in this case.
>
> The changes brought by this patch are explained in a blog post:
> http://blogs.freebsdish.org/graphics/2015/02/18/testing-the-drm-update/
>
> This is working well for some Radeon users for more than a year.
> However, it only started to work with i915 a month ago, when the i915
> refresh was committed.
>
> Try your day-to-day applications, try suspend/resume, try all output
> connectors, try OpenGL stuff, try backlight controls, everything :)
>
> Thank you!

I'll definitely be testing this on my Haswell laptop, running HardenedBSD. I
should have a report back by the end of the week.

I'm assuming, though, that Haswell won't be working, right? I'll still have to
use the VESA driver. As far as Haswell is concerned, you're mainly looking to
make sure that the patch doesn't actively break anything?

Thanks,

Shawn