Disable Xorg.0.log

Crest crest at rlwinm.de
Fri Feb 13 11:12:33 UTC 2015

On 12.02.2015 11:29, Beeblebrox wrote:
> I have diskless clients running X.org. /var is mounted from
> conf/base/var.cpio.gz, and is defined with md_size 6144. Starting X
> populates the log file, which quickly fills up the md assigned to
> /var. I don't need Xorg.0.log for the time being, so how can I
> disable it?
>
> These are the solutions (which don't work) that I have found: 1.
> Set /dev/null as logfile - The X.org amn page specifies "-logfile
> filename" as a command line switch. The equivalent setting for
> xorg.xonf is NOT {Option  "logfile" "/dev/nul/somefile". 2. ln -s
> /dev/null/somefile /var/log/Xorg.0.log - will not work because X
> always moves the old file and creates a new log on each start-up.
>
> Any ideas? Regards.

Start Xorg through xdm -nodaemon -error /somewhere/with/enough/space.

On my laptop I use runit to start and supervise most services with
-error /dev/stdout in a pipe to svlogd. Because runit implements per
line log rotation in the svlogd logging daemon instead of a cronjob
the log size is bound to $old_log_files * ($max_log_size +
$max_line_length). This can save you from a lot of trouble on systems
with small file systems.