Contributing to the kernel video drivers

José Pérez fbl at aoek.com
Mon Dec 28 23:24:01 UTC 2015

El 2015-12-28 23:55, Jean-Sébastien Pédron escribió:
>> Why don't we just pull in Linux 4.5?
>
> That is something we should decide during this discussion.
[...]
> but I'm open to suggestions. We could also try both
> if enough people are interested in: a team works on 3.9, another team
> on
> 4.3.

Ok, I'd go for the 3.9 + linux latest. At least we shall give latest a
look and
see if it bites. Chances are it does, so maybe we shall evaluate whether
it really hurts or it's just something we can cope with.

I am worried by the lack of other kernel resources. For example
power management relays on some linux functions we definitely do not
have
here, so we shall decide if we take the linux approach and give FreeBSD
kernel power management infrastructure, or we just pass and fake the
missing
pieces into drm_os_freebsd.[c|h]

>> Am I the only one with the impression that FreeBSD is so way behind
>> just because of this approach?
>
> Currently, we don't have a real method, we mainly lacked dedicated
> maintainer(s). I'm the only one working on Radeon and took on i915
> recently. As I'm doing this on my spare time, progress is slow and we
> have a lot to catch.

I think, Jean-Sébastien, this is the real reason why FreeBSD is behind,
and I suggest we solve this problem not only for the time being, but
also
for the future.

As you have a crystal clear understanding of how things work behind the
scenes in FreeBSD + graphic support, can I suggest you enable others to
do the job? We shall go multi core. Would you be available for
questions,
doubts and the like, maybe on irc or similar live channel?

I myself have zillions of questions and feel that a mailing list is not
the right place. Thanks.

Regards,

---
José Pérez