problems running OpenGL code

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Sat Dec 12 16:35:20 UTC 2015

On Sat, 12 Dec 2015 09:36:23 -0553.75, William A. Mahaffey III wrote:

> I have an inhouse OpenGL code named PreBFCGL.TEST which I am trying to
> run. I get the following when I tried about 5 min. ago:
>

> [wam at kabini1, ~, 9:30:21am] 936 % PreBFCGL.TEST
> Segmentation fault (core dumped)
> [wam at kabini1, ~, 9:30:38am] 937 % cat BFC.LOG
> [...]
> Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
> Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
> Error: No RGB visual with depth buffer
>
>          Done, Bailing out ....
>   Saving Model Command File to Model_0.in .... done.

It seems to be an X error - the GL extension (GLX) is not
loaded. If you're running X with xorg.conf, make sure

	Section "Module"
		[...]
	        Load            "glx"
		[...]
	EndSection

is being defined. For OpenGL, other things like direct
rendering (DRI, DRM) might be needed. You can always
check this with tools like glxinfo, xdriinfo, glxgears,
or other programs that make use of OpenGL (for example,
"xlock -mode fire" or "xlock -mode lament").

The top of "glxinfo" output should look like this:

	name of display: :0.0
	display: :0  screen: 0
	direct rendering: Yes
	server glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
	server glx version string: 1.4
	server glx extensions:
	[...]
	client glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
	client glx version string: 1.4
	client glx extensions:
	[...]
	GLX version: 1.4

Of course your graphics hardware should be reflected accordingly. :-)

For this to work, I had to put

	drm_load="YES"
	nvidia_load="YES"

in /boot/loader.conf - in your case, something similar will probably
be needed. ALso make sure to install relevant libraries as needed
(libGL, libGLU, libdrm, Mesa, ...).

> Am I hosed until 3D OpenGL works for AMD jaguars ? If so, how is
> progress on that front ? These are fairly common APUs, widely used in
> laptops, some low-end desktops & some tablets, it would be sweet to get
> this going :-) ....

As far as I know, this special kind of "graphics card" isn't that
easy to use. It starts with the proper driver. Which one are you
currently using?

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany