Wayland shm?

Jean-Sébastien Pédron jean-sebastien.pedron at dumbbell.fr
Sat Apr 18 08:46:18 UTC 2015

On 30.03.2015 23:42, Lundberg, Johannes wrote:
> Hi

Hi!

> I've seen on the graphics page that wayland port is done.
>
> I know that there are parts missing regarding hardware support for newer
> cards but would it be possible to today run wayland shm (software
> rendering) if you have a compositor or could wayland be used today to
> develop a simple compositor? I'm ok without libinput or weston for now
> since I have my own input system.

Koop (CC'd) knows better about the status of the Wayland-related ports,
but I think you could do what you want.

What blocks us today with Wayland compositor is:
    o  libinput which we need to port
    o  improvements to the Mesa ports

The first item is not started yet, though there is much interest in it,
especially for GNOME. There is a completed GSoC about adding evdev to
FreeBSD which can help here. Otherwise, it should be doable to add
support for our input stack (though after discussing with upstream
developers, there is little chance it will be integrated upstream).

The second item is ready in the "mesa-10.5" branch on GitHub [1]. We
can't commit it right now because LLVM 3.5 is not available on FreeBSD
8.x. But in two months, 8.x is EOL'd and we will commit it.

> Would it work with older graphic cards which have hardware rendering
> working?

I think so.

> Which wayland rendering backends have been ported? egl? shm? Xwayland?

The egl "drm" platform is working in the mesa-10.5 branch: it was
successfully tested with the Glamor 2D acceleration backend in xserver 1.17.

libxshmfence is available as a port, though I don't know how stable it is.

Xwayland is part of xserver 1.16 or 1.17. Anyway, xserver 1.17 is ready
in our "xserver-next" branch on GitHub [1], but it requires Mesa 9.2+
which is not yet available on FreeBSD 9.x (everything is ready for this,
we just need time to move forward).

[1] https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd-ports-graphics

--
Jean-Sébastien Pédron