Unable to start X.org with KMS in FreeBSD 10.0 without using the new_xorg repo

Arto Pekkanen aksyom at gmail.com
Wed Sep 24 16:55:35 UTC 2014

On 24.9.2014 19:24, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> I just looked at the wiki page and I fail to see anything saying that the NEW_XRG packages are in the default repository. That is the reason the new_xorg repo exists. The wiki does say that WITH_NEW_XORG is now the default for all supported branches except 8. The goal is, indeed to get the NEW_XORG working with all supported versions and remove the old code, but I see no indication  that it has been done as of today.

Okay :D It seems that I misunderstood what the wiki page actually meant. Sorry about that.

Thanks for info!

> I do agree that clear warnings about the need for the new_xorg repo if KMS is to be used. It also points out that an update of Intel KMS to support newer GPU is getting REALLY critical! It's getting harder and harder to find laptops that have supported graphics and while VESA (usually, sort of) works, it is not really a good way to run a system.

Yeah, a warning about new_xorg repo and KMS plus good examples on how to do it. I only needed to define the repo in /etc/pkg/0-new-xorg.conf, then pkg update && pkg upgrade -f -r FreeBSD_new_xorg

Anyways, now updating to 10.1-BETA2 to see if I can get VT working with KMS.

--
Arto Pekkanen
ksym at IRCnet