FreeBSD Port: x11-servers/xorg-server

Kevin Oberman rkoberman at gmail.com
Mon Sep 22 22:47:28 UTC 2014

On Mon, Sep 22, 2014 at 2:38 PM, Patrick Powell <papowell at astart.com> wrote:

> On 09/21/14 16:52, William A. Mahaffey III wrote:
>

>> On 09/21/14 18:12, Robert_Burmeister wrote:
>>
>>> William A. Mahaffey III wrote

>>> Even more interesting...
>>> x11-drivers/xf86-input-mouse and x11-drivers/xf86-input-keyboard
>>> have xorg-server as a dependency, and so cannot be a circular dependency.
>>>
>>> I'm guessing that the mouse and keyboard drivers got deleted as
>>> dependents
>>> of
>>> xorg-server during the upgrade, but there are no dependencies in my
>>> desktop
>>> build
>>> process that require that they be put back, even through a complete
>>> system
>>> recompile.
>>>
>>> I'm thinking 'x11-drivers/xorg-drivers' and 'x11/xorg-minimal' should be
>>> bumped
>>> when xorg-server is upgraded.
>>>
>>> (When my current recompile is done, I will check that my xorg-drivers
>>> didn't
>>> get removed as well.)
>>>

>> I am using pkg, no ports, no recompiling .... FBSD 9.3, BTW ....
>>

>>  Just a thought - check to make sure that the x11-drivers/xf86-input-keyboard
> port on the PKGng server you are using  was actually rebuilt for the new
> version of  xorg-server.  I had this problem a couple of weeks ago and the
> X log file hinted that the keyboard driver was not compatible with the
> version of xorg-server.  At the time I thought that this was due to a lag
> in the PKGng server building the new drivers so I compiled and installed
> the x11-drivers/xf86-input-keyboard.  The problem went away.
>
> This appears to be the same sort of issue. Perhaps the driver(s) are not
> getting rebuilt for the new version of xorg-server?  Or perhaps this is
> related to packages on the 'with_new_xorg' PKGng server versus packages on
> the standard PKGng server?

I think you just discovered the root problem with  "no mouse or keyboard"
issue. I just got a note from someone else I was working with on this that
the problem was fixed by rebuilding those ports. It is known that they need
to be rebuilt to work with NEW_XORG, but there is no version bump, so they
generally don't and may not be getting into the NEW_XORG packages. Even if
it does, since the version is the same, probably does not get pulled in
automatically.

Looks to me like there should be a note to this effect on the wiki, at the
very least. It's a pretty odd situation. If this happened in the standard
ports system, it would just result in a PORT_REVISION bump. Could that be
done to those packages in the NEW_XORG repo?
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer, Retired
E-mail: rkoberman at gmail.com