vt(4) scrollback size

Jean-Sébastien Pédron jean-sebastien.pedron at dumbbell.fr
Wed Sep 3 15:47:03 UTC 2014

On 02.09.2014 19:04, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> Now, with vt(4), it seems that the scrolback buffer at boot time (large
> font) is only about 50 lines and after starting X (smaller font) I get
> about 140 lines. The number of lines I see seems to be linked to the number
> of characters.

Yes, currently, the value of 500 lines is hard-coded. The buffer size is
calculated like this:
    (500 lines) x (screen width in characters with the current font)

When you load a GPU driver (*kms), the resolution allows more characters
on a line on the screen, therefore the buffer gets larger.

The size of the buffer could be a runtime setting (a sysctl?), the code
permits this. It just needs to be done™ :)

--
Jean-Sébastien Pédron