Radeon HD 5700 Series GPU lockup freezes Xorg when using xf86-video-ati instead of xf86-video-ati-ums

Jean-Sébastien Pédron dumbbell at FreeBSD.org
Fri Oct 31 11:16:44 UTC 2014

On 26.10.2014 14:55, etch wrote:
> Hi,

Hello!

> I experienced xorg freezes on my machine using the new ati/radeon kms
> graphics driver.
> The problem appeared mainly when I was using Firefox and openbox.

Most Radeon GPU lockups come from Mesa 9.1.7 which is way too old.

Mesa 10.3.2 is available on FreeBSD 10.1 (which is around the corner) if
you build it yourself (the official binary package will remain at Mesa
9.1, because of our Intel driver in FreeBSD 10.0).

Therefore the preferred solution is to upgrade to FreeBSD 10.1 as soon
as it's released or right now if you want to test the release candidates.

--
Jean-Sébastien Pédron