Removal of legacy X.Org (aka non-WITH_NEW_XORG)

Jean-Sébastien Pédron dumbbell at FreeBSD.org
Sat Oct 4 12:06:08 UTC 2014

On 03.10.2014 17:45, Marat N.Afanasyev wrote:
> I think that old X stack should not be dropped until at least, GPU
> locking problem is resolved, what we can say about Xorg stability under
> FreeBSD if one should reset one's desktop every week or so with lots of
> lost files? I cannot really use KMS drivers at all because of this
> problem. I've lost enough data while trying to test radeon kms, and I
> cannot switch from old xorg to new one.

Most GPU lockups on Radeon occur because Mesa 9.1 is way too old and
doesn't work well at all for these cards. Mesa 10.x behaves *much* better.

Unfortunately, we can't use Mesa 10.x on FreeBSD 9.x and FreeBSD 10.0,
because the Intel driver lacks a required feature [1]. This kind of
impossible situations happens because our time is limited. That's why we
need to drop the old stack and spend the saved time to move forward.

If you're willing to try Mesa 10.3.0, it's available from the
"experimental" branch of our development ports tree:
https://wiki.freebsd.org/Graphics#Development_repository

From this branch, build:
    o  graphics/libdrm
    o  graphics/libglapi
    o  graphics/libGL
    o  graphics/dri
    o  graphics/libEGL (if you have it installed)
    o  graphics/libglesv2 (if you have it installed)

> Is it possible to build new xorg without kms and with old radeon
> driver?

Yes, in the case of Radeon, you can use xf86-video-ati-ums (in place of
xf86-video-ati) with xserver 1.12. There's no need to rebuild xserver.

[1] https://wiki.freebsd.org/Graphics/Add_HW_context_support_to_i915

--
Jean-Sébastien Pédron