Radeon troubles

John F. Carr jfc at mit.edu
Sun Nov 30 13:12:14 UTC 2014

 > > There are two problems:
 > >
 > > 1. When X exits the screen never switches back to console mode.
 > > It freezes with the image on the X server when it exits.  The text
 > > console is running behind the frozen graphics.  I can login blind as
 > > root and reboot.  I can rerun xinit and see my compressed windows
 > > again.  But I can't see the console.  (I don't use graphical login.
 > > I log in on the console and run xinit.)
 >
 > Add to /boot/loader.conf:
 >    kern.vty=vt

That fixed my problem 1, but...

 > > 2. On a PA272W 2560x1440 monitor the image is horizontally compressed
 > > into the middle half of the screen.  The image is mangled as I would
 > > if half of the pixels were dropped.  I think it is trying to display
 > > 2560 pixels but setting up some mode parameters wrong.  On a lower
 > > resolution monitor the image is fine, but see item 1.
 >
 > Not really sure about that, it might depend on the type of cable
 > connection, like dual-link DVI being required.

Xorg still fails the same way.

My graphics worked until recently.  Maybe the new driver is using a
too-high frame rate, but since I didn't tell it to do so that would be
a bug.

I can leave the X screen with the vt console.  All the text consoles
are permanently in the same unreadable half size state.

Is it likely that an NVIDIA card will work better?  Is it possible
to go back to the old X server?  I see messages online about it
being removed, but it's not clear if that has happened yet.