WITHOUT_NEW_XORG not fully supported on stable/8?

Alexey Dokuchaev danfe at FreeBSD.org
Mon Nov 17 08:03:47 UTC 2014

[ Discussion moved over to X11 list where it belongs better; subject adjusted ]

tl;dr: It looks like WITHOUT_NEW_XORG support is not complete (e.g., missing
checks in graphics/libdrm port), otherwise thanks for supporting it!  Yet I
fear it will go away sooner rather then later; how feasible would be extend
the life of low-level UMS bits and provide necessary compatibility shims for
modern upper-level stuff (like libGL/cairo/KDE)?

On Mon, Nov 17, 2014 at 07:20:47AM +0100, Baptiste Daroussin wrote:
> If you have better suggestion the X11 team would be glad to get some help,
> and anyone having modern hardware also or anyone willing to run kde or use
> anything that needs cairo or anyone on intel graphic cards just willing to
> use Firefox

Well, first suggestion would be actually respecting WITHOUT_NEW_XORG knob as
advertised; particularly, it looks like graphics/libdrm should include this
checks, maybe something else (haven't looked closer yet).

> If you have to complain here: complain to the FreeBSD project not having
> able to maintain decently the graphics component in the kernel for eons,
> this is the result of us neglecting that part.

We've discussed that before with dumbbell@ et al. on IRC a number of times,
I fully agree with this, no need to argue. :)

> You want your old xorg back? please provide a mechanism to propose
> alternative for the following components for users: X, libGL, the different
> drivers, libdrm, cairo and/or fix kde so that it works with ancient
> components as well as newer, fix intel (old ones) drivers so that they do
> not die with newer cairo, and make sure everything or almost everything
> works with both stack and soon probably 3 or 4 stacks as newer component
> are already giving us the same problem for the same reasons (yeah new mesa)

I did not ask for 100% support of new KDE with all its bells and whistles; I
merely was expecting to get a working X11 with WITHOUT_NEW_XORG set, yet it
broke.  How realistic would be having pre-KMS stuff in ports for bare-boned
X11 (sans KDE) available at least while we still support 8.4?  You've listed
a lot of components that need to be taken care of, but can't we have modern
cairo working with UMS libdrm/drivers/xorg-server, with compatibility patch?
Or, would it be feasible to patch the last UMS-aware version of x11-drivers/
xf86-video-intel so it can work with new xserver?

./danfe