Turning off HAL for xorg-server

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Sun Nov 16 15:09:11 UTC 2014

On Sat, 15 Nov 2014, Sam Fourman Jr. wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 15, 2014 at 8:37 PM, Warren Block <wblock at wonkity.com> wrote:
>       xorg-server no longer requires HAL.  When can we turn the HAL option off in the port?
>

> Last I checked the non hal option was labeled Experimental, has this status changed?
> I am also not clear on what config changes I would make to test out the non hal way of doing things.

It's not an either/or situation.  The DEVD option lets input devices be
discovered by devd, but is not required.  I've been running with HAL
turned off for years, and have never bothered turning on the DEVD
option.

Hot-plugging USB mice and keyboards still works without either option on
my 10-STABLE systems.