Xorg configure failure with Radeon card

Jean-Sébastien Pédron jean-sebastien.pedron at dumbbell.fr
Sun Nov 16 13:53:04 UTC 2014

On 15.11.2014 22:47, Dutch Ingraham wrote:
> Jan!! That's just the wake-up I needed! I went back to the last
> section of the wiki on graphics referred to above and re-read it. For
> some reason, I was under the impression that loading the radeon firmware
> in the method described in that section was only if I wanted/needed kms
> to be loaded early; I assumed it would be loaded later in the boot
> process on its own, though.

The wiki section is correct: adding radeonkms and the relevant firmwares
to /boot/loader.conf is only required when you want them available
during boot (to have a larger console).

Otherwise, the kernel module and firmwares are loaded automatically
during X startup. Do you confirm that, if you boot without loading
radeonkms, X fails to load the kernel module and reports no screen found?

--
Jean-Sébastien Pédron