Xorg configure failure with Radeon card

Tony Sweeney sweeney at addr.com
Sun Nov 16 13:49:46 UTC 2014

On 11/16/2014 13:35, Dutch Ingraham wrote:
> On 11/16/14 08:09, Tony Sweeney wrote:
>> On 11/15/2014 21:47, Dutch Ingraham wrote:

>>> Jan!!  That's just the wake-up I needed!  I went back to the last
>>> section of the wiki on graphics referred to above and re-read it.  For
>>> some reason, I was under the impression that loading the radeon
>>> firmware in the method described in that section was only if I
>>> wanted/needed kms to be loaded early; I assumed it would be loaded
>>> later in the boot process on its own, though.
>>>
>>> I was wrong.  After issuing a #<kldload radeonkms> as you suggested,
>>> the fb graphical resolution loaded.  Then, taking wblock@'s advice
>>> (elsewhere) that Xorg -config is now generally unnecessary, just
>>> issued a <startx> and things were working properly.  A little xrandr
>>> action and both monitors are working as desired.
>>>
>>> For the record, if anyone else is having this radeon issue, here is a
>>> summary specific to the 5450 card (note some of this may be
>>> unnecessary, I haven't tested each yet):
>>>
>>> In loader.conf
>>>
>>> kern.vty=vt
>>> radeonkmsfw_CEDAR_pfp_load="YES"
>>> radeonkmsfw_CEDAR_me_load="YES"
>>> radeonkmsfw_CEDAR_rlc_load="YES"
>>> radeonkms_load="YES"
>>>
>>> In make.conf:
>>>
>>> WITH_NEW_XORG=YES
>>> WITH_KMS=YES
>>> OPTIONS_SET=GALLIUM (or WITH_GALLIUM=YES, but the compiler will warn
>>> on this when building dri)
>>>
>>> Thanks again for all your help, Jan.
>>>
>> OK, following Jan and Dutch's advice I've gotten further, but I'm still
>> not quite there.  I'm running 10.1-RELEASE (upgraded from 10.1-RC4 using
>> freebsd-update), the base system is an AMD 7850, so I'm not expecting
>> the built in Kaveri chip to work any time soon.  However, I also have an
>> HD5450 installed so I'm hoping I can get this to work.  I added the
>> kern.vty tunable and manually loaded radeonkms.  This pulls in the same
>> CEDAR firmwares as above and enables the high res framebuffer, but
>> startx still gives "no screens found".  Initially the log showed that it
>> was trying and failing to load the fbdev driver, so I pkg installed
>> xf86-video-fbdev (this may have been a mistake) and it now fails loading
>> submodule fbdevfw.  So far I've been trying to work entirely with
>> packages, but I'm happy to build from ports if it will get me a working
>> X console.  I've attached the standard logs recommended in the Wiki.
>>
>> Tony.

> Tony:
>
> Until someone with real knowledge comes along, you could check and make
> sure you don't have an errant xorg.conf laying around screwing things up.
>
> Also, I'm not sure of the default options set with the pre-built binary
> packages, so I would check the dri configuration; specifically, issue a
> <pkg info dri> and make sure the option GALLIUM is set to :on.

Thanks Dutch, I'm pretty sure I'm OK on both those fronts:

root at sleekit:/etc # locate xorg.conf
/root/xorg.conf.new
/usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d
/usr/local/man/man5/xorg.conf.5.gz
/usr/local/man/man5/xorg.conf.d.5.gz
root at sleekit:/etc # ls /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d
root at sleekit:/etc # pkg info dri | grep -i gallium
	GALLIUM        : on
root at sleekit:/etc #

Tony.